Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving Web Site
Home Contact Me Sydney Reef Dive Sites Sydney Shipwrecks NSW Dive Sites Australian Dive Sites Overseas Dive Sites Dive Accidents and Incidents My Yachting Adventures 4WD Trips Weather Search 20 July 2024 08:13

About Me
My Diving
Web Links - Dive Clubs
St George Scuba Club
Some of my Best Photos
Contact Me

Dive Sites
Sydney Reef Dive Sites
Sydney Shipwrecks
Sydney Dive Visibility, Swell and Temps
Kelly Talking on ABC Sydney about Shipwrecks
NSW Dive Sites
Sydney Shipwreck Summary
NSW Shipwreck GPS/Marks
Australian Dive Sites
Overseas Dive Sites
Aircraft I have Dived
Old Bottles
Free Shipwreck Books

Dive Related Equipment
Shearwater Predator and Heinrichs Weikamp OSTC 2N
Uwatec Aladin Dive Computers
Apollo AV1 Underwater Scooter
Bauer Compressor
DIY Oxygen Stick - Nitrox
GoPro HD Hero Video Camera
My Camera Setup
Purchase of New Dive Boat
My Dive Boat - Mak Cat
My Old Dive Boat - Le Scat
My Dive Gear
GPS and Diving
Make Your Own Car Tank Rack

Marine Life
Rarer Sydney Marine Life
Bare Island Pygmy Pipe Horses
Bare Island Sea Horses
Bare Island Nudibranchs
Bare Island Marine Life
Encounter with Southern Right Whale and Calf

Other Dive Info
How Weather Affects Diving in Sydney
Visibility and Wave Averages in Sydney
Waves and Diving
Diving Weather and Sea Conditions
Tide Tables
Dive Accidents and Incidents
Dive Book Reviews
Site Map
Noel Hitchins 1951-2005
Lloyd Bridges - Mike Nelson in Sea Hunt
My Yachting Adventures
Below is a list of links to the main pages about my yacht, Catlypso and My Yachting Adventures:
  • Purchase of Catlypso
  • Details about Catlypso
  • Cleaning/Repairing Catlypso
  • My Yachting Adventures.
  • Login


    Forgotten your password?
    Request a new one here.
    Michael's 4WD Trips
    Click here for a list of my Four Wheel Drive and Camping Trips.
    Home Brewing
    Click here for an article about Home Brewing.
    Sydney Dive Site Hints
    "Pygmy pipehorses can be seen at Bare Island at various places"
    TSS Belbowrie
    Michael McFadyen's Scuba Diving - TSS Belbowrie The TSS Belbowrie was built by R. Davis at Blackwall, Woy Woy, Brisbane Water on the NSW Central Coast. The Davis family was a famous shipbuilding family in the Central Coast area from 1848 till 1913. This shipyard was established by Rock Davis and built at least 168 vessels. The biggest was 277 tons gross. Rock Davis died in 1904 but the yard continued to operate till 1913 under the management of W. Davis and J. Cameron. Launched in 1911, the Belbowrie was 37 metres long and displaced 218 tons. I am pretty sure that it was built from timber. Built for J. Weston, the vessel was powered by two two cylinder steam engines manufactured by Mort's Dock and Engineering Co Ltd, Balmain.

    In about 1914 the vessel was sold to Coastal Shipping Co-operative Co Ltd and the next year to the Coffs Harbour Co-operative Steam Ship Co Ltd.

    On Tuesday 20 April 1915 the Belbowrie passed Gabo Island just south of the New South Wales/Victorian border heading to Melbourne. On Saturday 24 April 1915 she left Hobsons Bay (as Melbourne appears in early shipping reports) for Sydney.

    On 22 March 1916 the Belbowrie arrived in Sydney from Port Pirie in South Australia. On Wednesday 23 August 1916 she arrived in Sydney from Coffs Harbour.

    In August 1917 during the NSW mine strike, the Belbowrie was one of the 29 coastal colliers commandeered by the NSW Government. It is not clear if she had been used as a collier prior to this. Also taken over were the Tuggerah, Undola, Myola, Hall Caine, Galava and Duckenfield. There was problem getting crew to man these ships.

    On Thursday 20 December 1917 the Belbowrie left Melbourne for Sydney.

    In 1918 the Belbowrie's list of owners grew when she was purchased by Bell and Frazer Ltd.

    On Saturday 27 April 1918 the Belbowrie departed Sydney with a load of timber for Melbourne, arriving Monday afternoon. She was to return with general cargo from there on Wednesday 1 May 1918. She also left Melbourne on 7 May 1918 and I assume that this was the next voyage.

    On 4 June 1918 she arrived in Melbourne (Hobsons Bay) from Sydney.

    In the early 1920s ownership changed again to Kirsten and Earnshaw Ltd (I am not sure of this as the entry in Lloyd's Register of 1924-25 that I checked is crossed out).

    TSS BelbowrieTSS Belbowrie
    The TSS Belbowrie coming up Sydney HarbourThis photograph was said to be the TSS Belbowrie aground in Ulladulla Harbour
    but I suspect that it is actually Batemans Bay - see body of article below

    As well as having a few (heaps in fact) owners, the Belbowrie had a few incidents in her life. On Monday 25 June 1923, the Belbowrie left Red Head near Ulladulla to travel to Sydney via Sussex Inlet, She was carrying 25,000 feet of timber. The weather was bad and Captain H. Chamberlain decided to miss Sussex and go straight to Sydney. At 4.30 am on Tuesday 26 June 1923, the TSS Belbowrie ran aground on Wanda Beach about five and a half miles north of Cronulla on Sydney's southern outskirts.

    There was gale force south-easterly winds and very heavy rain. Somehow the Belbowrie either travelled between the mainland and Jibbon Bombora or around the bommie and then headed right into Bate Bay and, I assume, rode straight over Merries Reef (which must have been breaking) as where it ended up, the reef is on a straight line from anywhere south!

    South Maroubra
    South Maroubra - the reef can be seen running out from the beach
    The entry point is just before the very last bit of rock platform where it runs out of the photo

    After removing the timber to the beach, the Belbowrie was refloated on Sunday 2 July 1923 with the help of the lighter Zelma. The ship sailed to Sydney and was found to have suffered no damage. An interesting aspect is how the timber was removed from the beach when it is considered how far this spot was from the nearest road or track!

    In 1923 or 24 she was sold again to Shoalhaven Steam Ship Co Ltd, although a report in the newspaper about the incident in the next paragraph says the owners were Kirton and Tarnshaw Limited. A photograph I found (shown above) was captioned to say that the ship also ran aground in Ulladulla Harbour. From the photo it appears that it was at least partially filled with water. However, I think that this may have been the incident in the next paragraph, which means it was not Ulladulla Harbour.

    On the afternoon of Wednesday 4 March 1925, the Belbowrie was leaving the Clyde River with a load of 40,000 to 50,000 feet of timber under the command of Captain M. C. Black with 12 crew aboard. The Clyde River is the port for Batemans Bay. As she crossed the bar, the ship went outside the channel and ran aground. There was a heavy sea running and the papers reported that there was a fear she would break up. It appears the ship was refloated on the Thursday.

    In mid-February 1926 there was a large maritime strike, with most vessels in at least NSW out of action as the crew went on strike, presumably for more money. On Tuesday 2 March 1926 the Belbowrie's crew went on strike. However, the next day she was able to depart Sydney for the NSW South Coast with a volunteer crew.

    Shortly after 10 am on Sunday 5 September 1926 the Belbowrie (stated in the papers to be a collier) was heading past Peacock Point in Sydney Harbour (I have no idea where this is as I have never heard of it). As she passed the point, she ran into a tow line which a fishing launch was a towing a row boat. The launch and the rowing bout were capsized and the launch sank. Four "Italians" in the launch were thrown into the water but were rescued. The occupants of the launch were - Antonio Lesida aged 30 years, his brother Dominic Lesida aged 24 years, Dominia Bornato aged 35 years and Antonio Costo (?), aged 26 years. All resided at 33 Croas Street, Drummoyne. The men were fishermen and partners in the ownership of the launch and dinghy which they used for fishing.

    In 1928 she was again sold to A. Auland.

    On Wednesday 25 September 1929 the Belbowrie left Sydney for Bellambi. This indicates that she was still being used as a collier.

    On Tuesday 24 February 1931 the Belbowrie was leaving the Shoalhaven River after visiting Nowra when she ran aground somewhere near the Crookhaven Heads breakwater (this is at the entrance of the Shoalhaven). She was said to be on an even keel. I am not sure what happened next, but she obviously got free.

    On about 1932 she was sold to Aulco Pty Ltd of Bond Street, Sydney. The Register of Australian and NZ Shipping of 1937 gives the owner again as A. Auland (presumably associated with Aulco P/L).

    On 24 November 1938, the Belbowrie rescued two fishers off Norah Head on the NSW Central Coast after their boat sank. Less than two months later, the Belbowrie was to suffer the same fate.

    At 7 pm on 16 January 1939 she departed Balmain in Sydney Harbour with 10 crew to travel to Shellharbour to take on a cargo of blue metal. By 8.10 pm the Belbowrie had left the harbour and at 8.50pm was off Ben Buckler (the northern headland of Bondi Beach). It was poor weather, with a strong southerly wind and very heavy rain. Despite this, it was reported that the seas were not exceptionally rough and apparently nothing undue could be seen. The Captain, Mr P.R. Dixon, went below as he thought they were well out to sea. Edgar Charles Ladd (41), the Mate, was left in control and the Belbowrie was travelling at 6.5 knots.

    South Maroubra
    A painting of the TSS Belbowrie just before she hits the rocks at South Maroubra
    Painting by Peter Schultz - done for Ian Frazer of Townsville whose grandfather, Joseph Frazer, was skipper about 1918-22

    Mr Ladd reported that at first he thought that he could just see white-caps on the sea through a break in the weather but this was not correct. He then realised that what he could see was rocks ahead. All of a sudden, the vessel crashed onto rocks as Captain Dixon lay in his bunk. The Captain thought that they had hit a heavy sea but then realised they had hit the shore.

    Captain Dixon rushed to the bridge and found they were hard on the rocks at the southern end of Maroubra Beach. He ordered the engines to be reversed but after a few minutes the engine room was flooded and all was lost. Waves were breaking right over the Belbowrie and the ship was already breaking up with its back broken. Captain Dixon fired off a dozen rockets but the last one would not go off. A lifeboat was lowered but the seas flooded it.

    By now people had arrived at the scene and the Belbowrie's crew attempted to get a line to shore. After several unsuccessful attempts, the line was tied to a buoy. One of the people on shore, Keith Tracey, risked his life by rushing into the seas on the rock platform and the rope was held secure by a squad of Police. The crew then went hand over hand the 60 feet across the boiling seas and rock platform to safety.
    TSS Belbowrie
    A photograph of the TSS Belbowrie, already sunk but not totally broken up. Note the lifeboat.

    Only one person was injured, one of the two fireman, John Joseph Duffy of Balmain, who hurt himself when he fell from the vessel. The last person to leave the ship was, of course, Captain Dixon. He became exhausted when travelling down the rope and he fell into the surf with a cry of "I'm done". Luckily, a number of men dashed into the seas and dragged him to shore. Apparently Captain Dixon put his failure to make his way down the line to the fact that "...I'm so fat, that's why I fell off".

    The crew was transported to Maroubra Ambulance Station where they were warmed up and treated for shock. Within a few hours the stern of the ship was below water and by the next morning the vessel was declared a total loss by Captain D.W. Gibson for the underwriters. She was valued at 6,000 pounds.

    On Wednesday 22 February 1939 in the NSW Supreme Court, Judge Markell of the Marine Court of Inquiry said that it was unable to decide the cause. He said that no negligence could be attributed to the master or the mate and he directed that their certificates of competency be returned. The Court found that after the stranding the master had taken all proper steps to preserve life and property.

    The Belbowrie below the surface
    The wreck of the Belbowie just off the rock platform

    A few days before 4 October 1972, a group of young divers led by Noel Hitchins, then of Maroubra and later the founder and long time owner of South West Rocks Dive Centre, salvaged two anchors and some lead and brass fittings. Noel (who died in early 2005) was a good friend of mine and another of the group was Phil Short, another good friend and someone who I have dived with regularly over the years.

    They thought at the time that these were from the wreck of the sailing ship Hereward which sank on Maroubra Beach during the "Maitland" storm on Thursday 7 May 1898 and this is what was reported in the local paper.

    TSS Belbowrie anchorsTSS Belbowrie anchor
    Noel Hitchins in centre, with Phil Short on the left and
    Bob (?) on right with two anchors I now think were from the Belbowrie
    Noel Hitchins in centre, with Phil Short on the left
    and others with one of the anchors at left

    Photo taken at South Maroubra Beach

    During some discussions with Phil after Noel's death, I thought that the anchors probably came from the SS Tekapo as he said they were salvaged from Magic Point, the south-westernmost point of South Maroubra. Phil reports that they attached a 44 gallon (200 litre) drum to the anchors and filled them with air. The drum and anchor came free from the sand and launched itself into the air once it surfaced. However, in October 2016 I found a photo of another anchor salvaged from the Tekapo which is more than double the size of these anchors.

    Therefore, I now believe that the above anchors are from the Belbowrie.

    Today there is still wreckage to be found in the area, although very little is identifiable as specific parts of either this ship or the nearby wreck of the SS Tekapo. There are iron plates and girders all over the place, as well as some brass pieces. Some of this may be from the Belbowrie.

    South MaroubraSouth Maroubra
    One of the larger bits of wreckageMore wreckage from the Belbowrie

    For more details about the shipwreck site, see my article on South Maroubra. This is a Sydney shipwreck that will not really reward the diver with much wreckage, but it is an interesting dive anyway.

    NOTE: Above photos taken in 1992 using Nikonos IV-A and scanned 2011 from slides.


  • Sydney Morning Herald 17 and 18 January 1939
  • Lloyd's Register 1913-14, 1915-16, 1916-17, 1919-20, 1924-25, 1929-30
  • The Register of Australian and NZ Shipping 1937 page 21, 1933 page 19
  • Some Shipwrecks in the Randwick Municipality by Trevor L. Brignell pages 29-32
  • Afloat - article by Graeme Andrews in August 2006 issue
  • Argus - Wednesday 21, Monday 26 April 1915
  • Argus - Thursday 23 March 1916
  • Argus - Thursday 24 August 1916
  • Argus - Thursday 30 August 1917
  • Argus - Saturday 15 and Friday 21 December 1917
  • Argus - Saturday 27 April 1918
  • Argus - Wednesday 8 May 1918
  • Argus - Wednesday 5 June 1918
  • Argus - Friday 29 June 1923
  • Argus - Thursday 5 and Friday 6 March 1925
  • Argus - Tuesday 7 September 1926
  • Argus - Thursday 26 September 1929
  • Argus - Thursday 26 February 1931
  • Canberra Times - Tuesday 17 and Wednesday 18 January 1939
  • Canberra Times - Thursday 23 February 1939
  • Emails from Ian Frazer dated 3-4 December 2019

  • Copyright © Michael McFadyen 1990 to 2024
    Non-commercial use of an article or photograph is permitted with appropriate URL reference to this site.
    Dive shops, dive operators, publications and government departments cannot use anything without first seeking and receiving approval from Michael McFadyen.
    This web site has been wholly thought up, designed, constructed and funded for almost 30 years by Michael McFadyen without any help from the Australian Dive Industry.
    Website created 1996!